Wednesday, March 25, 2015

A Cocoon Unraveled

Unfortunately I don't have anything to unwind the cocoons other than my own two hands, I had read that the cocoons unwind easily and I figured...what the heck we'll unwind one by hand

3 hrs LATER...
It took 3 hrs to unravel a cocoon

 silkworms produce silk via two protein based liquids that harden when they are exposed to air, one is the silk the fibrin and the other the sticky glue called sericin. A cocoon is produced in one single strand making it possible to unwind an entire cocoon as a single stand

Inside the cocoon we found that they larvae had transformed into a early stage moth (so you see both the casting and the dead body in the above picture) the other part is the "cradle" which houses the silkworm within the cocoon

I cant say that I actually measured the silk myself as I unraveled it but I have read that a single strand can be 1200-1900 ft long!

a factory in China where cocoons are being unraveled
You need to slightly boil the cocoons to dissolve the sericin that is keeping the silk strands in the cocoon
 The one cocoon was all that I unraveled but the people who run this website wormspit have unraveled many and can explain the process WAY better than me if you are interested

No comments:

Post a Comment