Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Step Five: I Have a Bunch of Cocoons, WHAT DO I DO??????



-we ended up with quite a few cocoons approx. 300 with at least 100-120 that died before cocooning up (this was because I didn't understand how sensitive they were to temperature and moisture) it took me about 10 days to figure out what was wrong

 

-we did let some hatch (five), most we did not
(the big one is a female the small one is the male)


-we cooked the silkworm cocoons at 180 degrees for 40 min 3 times.
It is necessary to remove the moisture from the silk and the bug to prevent mold and mildew growth

REMEMBER WHEN THEY COME OUT OF THE COCOON AS A MOTH THEY HAVE NO MOUTH SO THEY CANT EAT!!! PRETTY MUCH YOU HAVE TO DECIDE IF YOU WANT 300-1000 EGGS PER FEMALE MOTH AND THEN WATCH HER SLOWLY DIE FOR 2 WEEKS OR…COOK THE COCOONS

-there is a smell when you cook the cocoons, I’ve smelled worse of course, but it does smells like your roasting something


No comments:

Post a Comment